Message Board

Topic: Cinders Post A Reply | Post A New Message
Message Posted: 1/20/2020
By: Jennifer Gunnet, Twp. Mgr.

Nick - The cost of street sweeping does not factor into this as the street sweeping is a service provided to the Township by Modern Landfill as part of our Host Community Agreement.
Message Posted: 1/19/2020
By: Nick

I also agree with the cinder comments. They are all over the roads in neighborhood that I live in. In addition, are they really cheaper when you factor in the street sweeping?

Like others have said, I would rather my taxes be raised a little to discontinue the use of cinders.
Message Posted: 12/17/2019

Hank - The Budget for 2020 has already been prepared and this change is not included. I will bring it up to the Board during the 2021 Budget preparations.
Message Posted: 12/14/2019
By: Hank N.

I agree with the posts about the use of cinders. Ive heard the township has at least a significant amount of money in reserves so the extra cost is likely something that could be afforded.

That being said, Id be willing to have my property taxes raised by a fraction of a mil to cover the cost of switching to just salt. I assume its too much to hope the change over could be made this winter.

Is this change something that will be considered if there is enough support?
Message Posted: 12/12/2019

Sue - The Township has just under 100 miles of two lane roads to maintain. The Public Works Department mixes salt and anti-skid for melting and traction purposes. While the salt melts, the anti-skid will remain to provide traction. A ton of salt costs $59.00 where a ton of anti-skid costs $10.00. Even with the mix, the Township uses approx. 1200 tons of salt a year at a cost of $70,000. If only salt was used, the cost would be closer to $200,000.
Message Posted: 12/11/2019
By: Sue L.

Is it necessary to throw cinders in the neighborhoods for every little bit of snow we get. The streets in our neighborhood look like dirt roads already. Cinders cause damage to vehicles and when they get piled up they actually cause cars to slide and spin when pulling out. There has to be a better option then throwing stones all over the roads. Once you get on Windsor Rd or East Prospect road there are no stones so obviously there are other options.